D(CS)'s presentation at Ngee Ann Polytechnic's CET Annual
Ms Kavitha Subash, Director (Central Services) at VITAL, participated as a guest speaker in Ngee Ann Polytechnic's Continuing Education and Training (CET) ANNUAL on 14 Oct 2022. She shared with the audience how VITAL has invested in and supported officers in their data analytics upskilling journey.
The CET ANNUAL is Ngee Ann Polytechnic's yearly event for industry experts to discuss trending learning and development topics in the continuing education and training space. Here are the key highlights from her sharing:
1. VITAL's data analytics pathway is a key strategy under the “People” pillar allowing VITAL officers to provide greater value-add to our stakhholders.
• Data analytics skill is one of the key skills identified under the Shared Services Competency Framework.
• We train our officers to be citizen data analysts who are able to use data and conduct analysis regardless of their area of work.
• So far about 25% of our workforce are already trained.
2. The Certificate in Data Analytics (CDA) and Specialist Diploma in Data Analytics (SDDA) programmes are specially structured to provide a better learning experience for the participants.
• Lessons are spaced out with breaks. Mid-point check-ins and additional guided practical lessons are arranged with officers.
• The CDA is ended with a data hackathon targeting real business problems. Participants are empowered to use data to do analysis and influence key management decisions.
3. Key take-aways in VITAL’s data analytics upskilling journey
• A clear data strategy to be in place to govern the use of data and create opportunities for staff to apply what they have learnt.
• Build a community of practice where trained officers come together to share use cases and experiences.